Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
Commercial-Free German Shepherd - In light of over 2 dozen GSD WebRings, many of which are cookie-cutter, anything-goes sort of Rings, we give you a Ring

Forums     Login   Signup

Commercial-Free German Shepherd

Manager: andrea
Welcome to "German Shepherd Dog - The TOTAL Canine" Forum! This Forum is the place to discuss all things 'GSD'. Feel free to post your questions, answers, and comments about anything pertaining to the German Shepherd Dog. Our Forum is dedicated to the ultimate combination of beauty, character, intelligence, agility, and working ability... also known as the German Shepherd Dog... Deutscher Schäferhund... the ultimate dog, the TOTAL canine. We welcome breeders, trainers, handlers, and owners who believe in combining the top GSD bloodlines from around the world to produce dogs of a caliber worthy of the breed. Our Forum is open to those who strive to achieve the highest standards in breeding and competition. Shutzhund or Show Ring, Police K9 or family pet, Bundessieger or Westminster, this versatile breed is always at the top of their game. Browse our member sites, and feel free to join us if you have something to discuss about the German Shepherd Dog.

Sponsored Links

Welcome to our Forum!
MEMBERS & GUESTS: Our FORUM is now OPEN!
  Welcome to "German Shepherd Dog - The TOTAL Canine" Forum! This Forum is th
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 6 of 6
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

House training a 13 week old male - 01/04/2006
I got my beautiful boy when he was 6 weeks old. All the red flags were there, but I was too ignorant to pay attention. Puppy was kept in a kennel in the barn, not with Mom and not with family at all. My problem is that he thinks his crate is his personal potty. He does not hesitate to potty in his bed. We sectioned off the crate, Riley only has room to lay down. He has not progressed at all in his training, he will tinkle while he's sitting, walking, anytime. I take him out constantly, have tried every method I can think of, and everyone I have talked to has said how unusual, but nobody can offer me a solution. Help! I'm so afraid that I won't be able to keep him, his behavior just can't be tolerated much longer. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Replied - 01/05/2006
Does he seems he pees and he CAN'T control it?? My GSD was potty trained at 8 weeks, only one week after we got him. About a month later he'd just be walking and PEE all over. I thought it was SO strange cuz he KNEW to go out. Well we ended up taking him to the vet and he had an infection. He was forming "cystals" in his kidneys (will end up into STONES if not taken care of) and they were knicking and making cuts that ended up with him getting infection. He had to take acidifers for some time and then he outgrew it. I'd take him in for a urine test. He may not be able to help it. Alot of times we "think" its the dog just not "getting it" but often something medically is wrong. Hope all turns out well, I know it was a NIGHTMARE for us. ;( GOOD NEWS is though.......It DOES get better. They are VERY intelligent dogs and they WANT to please you.

Replied - 01/05/2006
My thoughts exactly. I mentioned it to the vet during our last visit,he didn't seem at all concerned. I've been trying to get some references for a vet that is more familiar with GSD's, but I'm not having much luck. You can see the intelligence in Riley's eyes. I can teach him such sutble things, I know the smarts are there, and I certainly lean toward there being a medical reason. Thanks for your help and suggestions! I'll post the results after we see the vet again

Replied - 01/05/2006
I sure hope you find something out soon. It is painful for them. I know with my Fritz, he looked SOOOO sad when it happened. I could tell he was embarrassed. They want to please so badly. He REALLY need a urine ran, Fritz's levels were ALL messed up and there IS medication to stop the crystals from forming. Let me know if you need more info, I know I have the bottle of meds so I could get a name for you. INSIST on a urine being ran, it took us two vets before we had one that KNEW what was going on. I could see in Fritz's eyes he could not help it, like you said they are VERY smart. I'll keep you in my thoughts!!

Replied - 01/17/2006
Just wanted you to know that we saw the vet, and Riley has no infection of any kind, grumpy old vet said it is a behavior problem. I spoke with a trainer yesterday that advised me to go back to the basics, give him 4 weeks of very strict scheduling and she will talk to some people to see if anyone has any ideas to help us. He is such a beautiful boy, it makes me sick to think that this is something that we can't overcome. Thanks for your advice and concern.

Replied - 01/17/2006
That just shocks me. They did a complete urinalysis?? Did they check the protein and acid in his urine? It doesn't sound right to me. GSD's are very intelligent and its hard for me to imagine it being behavioral. BUT, if they did do a complete analysis CORRECTLY at least you don't have a medical issue to deal with. Does he pee when he walks?? Mine would just be walking and he'd pee a HUGE streak right across the floor. Has there been any time since you've had him that he did seem housebroken and then the going in the house came back? I have a 14 month old female that was MUCH harded to break than my male, I notice you said yours would pee in his cage, she did too for about 6 months when we had to leave her in there. She is fine now and does not do it, I guess some dogs can't hold it as long as others. Don't give up on him, I KNOW its frustrating but in the long run he'll be worth all the work and time you have to put into him. I just hope your vet knows what he is talking about and looked at EVERYTHING, just because there is not an infection does not mean the other values are on. If ALL he looked for was infection he could STILL be missing the part about the acidity in the urine. It took two vets before we figured out Fritz's problem and he was the exact age as your dog. Email me at smalltowngirlusa@yahoo.com if you want to discuss it further, here is fine too but I'd really love to see you figure this out. I've been thinking about it and checking here every so often to see if you posted.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy