Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
Commercial-Free German Shepherd - In light of over 2 dozen GSD WebRings, many of which are cookie-cutter, anything-goes sort of Rings, we give you a Ring

Forums     Login   Signup

Commercial-Free German Shepherd

Manager: andrea
Welcome to "German Shepherd Dog - The TOTAL Canine" Forum! This Forum is the place to discuss all things 'GSD'. Feel free to post your questions, answers, and comments about anything pertaining to the German Shepherd Dog. Our Forum is dedicated to the ultimate combination of beauty, character, intelligence, agility, and working ability... also known as the German Shepherd Dog... Deutscher Schäferhund... the ultimate dog, the TOTAL canine. We welcome breeders, trainers, handlers, and owners who believe in combining the top GSD bloodlines from around the world to produce dogs of a caliber worthy of the breed. Our Forum is open to those who strive to achieve the highest standards in breeding and competition. Shutzhund or Show Ring, Police K9 or family pet, Bundessieger or Westminster, this versatile breed is always at the top of their game. Browse our member sites, and feel free to join us if you have something to discuss about the German Shepherd Dog.

Sponsored Links

Welcome to our Forum!
MEMBERS & GUESTS: Our FORUM is now OPEN!
  Welcome to "German Shepherd Dog - The TOTAL Canine" Forum! This Forum is th
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 3 of 3
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

training classes - 02/06/2006
I bought the most fantastic male GSD with an awesome temp from an excellent breeder. I am taking him to classes with a lot of other GSD's who were not socialized, mean, and it is not a nice atmosphere, we have to keep our dogs away from each other because most of them are out of control. I know some are from rescue. My dog is so gentle and well mannered, I have 5 kids, my concern is my dog being around these bad ones. I called my breeder in tears tonite after being reprimanded because my dog sniffed a "muzzled" dogs behind in class and the teacher said it was MY fault that other dog started barking like a psycho. My breeder says find another class. i want to know if this class is not good for my dog or are they all like that? Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Replied - 02/12/2006
I don't know if they are all "like that".. you may want to ask around for a class with social time built in. However, if you allow your dog to rudely enter the space of another dog without checking to be sure it's ok, then you are at fault. It's your responsibility to help him navigate social scenes until he matures enough to make better decisions. So I would agree that this class may not be for you, but also that if anyone was at fault (aside from the trainer who could have given better instructions) it was you for allowing your dog to intrude on another dog's space.

Replied - 02/15/2006
A lot of GSD breeders don't recommend crowded training classes because the distraction level is too high. I suggest finding a smaller class (5 or fewer dogs) or training him yourself at home. If you go to leerburg.com this guy sells training videos specifically for GSDs. You also want to keep him away from "out of control" dogs. Puppies, like children, are sponges and WILL pick up bad behavior from other dogs. I also agree with your first reply - it is your responsibility to keep your dog out of the space of other dogs, training class or not.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy