Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
Commercial-Free German Shepherd - In light of over 2 dozen GSD WebRings, many of which are cookie-cutter, anything-goes sort of Rings, we give you a Ring

Forums     Login   Signup

Commercial-Free German Shepherd

Manager: andrea
Welcome to "German Shepherd Dog - The TOTAL Canine" Forum! This Forum is the place to discuss all things 'GSD'. Feel free to post your questions, answers, and comments about anything pertaining to the German Shepherd Dog. Our Forum is dedicated to the ultimate combination of beauty, character, intelligence, agility, and working ability... also known as the German Shepherd Dog... Deutscher Schäferhund... the ultimate dog, the TOTAL canine. We welcome breeders, trainers, handlers, and owners who believe in combining the top GSD bloodlines from around the world to produce dogs of a caliber worthy of the breed. Our Forum is open to those who strive to achieve the highest standards in breeding and competition. Shutzhund or Show Ring, Police K9 or family pet, Bundessieger or Westminster, this versatile breed is always at the top of their game. Browse our member sites, and feel free to join us if you have something to discuss about the German Shepherd Dog.

Sponsored Links

Welcome to our Forum!
MEMBERS & GUESTS: Our FORUM is now OPEN!
  Welcome to "German Shepherd Dog - The TOTAL Canine" Forum! This Forum is th
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 6 of 6
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

German shepherd aggression / Please Help - 02/18/2005
Hi everyone,
I have a question regarding my 2 and 1/2 old shepherd. This dog has been sweet, with a sound temperment until he began allergy shot and taking antihistmine,as well as steroids. Now he is being weaned off. My husband and I kiss the dog on the head all off the time. Now my GSD is growling at my husband and he even snapped at his face. Is this a reaction to being taken off the steroid or is it a dominant issue? Please Help this dog is like our kid

Replied - 02/19/2005
I would think the change in your dog's behavior is directly linked to the medication, or lack thereof, and will probably resolve itself as the meds leave the dog's system. Of course, I'm NOT a veterinarian, so you will want to ask your vet if there's something else that could be causing the problem.

Michelle
lildachs

Replied - 05/20/2005
Meds or not! No excuses here!

Keep pinch collar on the dog with short tab and whenever the dog behaves badly, give it a "sharp" correction supported by verbal admonishment. The correction must be given within 1-3 seconds from the moment of the misbehavior.

There could be several reasons for this type of "action" but whatever the cause, it can not be tollerated, period!

Replied - 01/18/2006
This has NOTHING to do with the medication. Your dog is maturing. NO growling should EVER be permitted toward you or your husband. AND STOP KISSING HIM ON THE HEAD! You are BEGGING him to challenge you, going face to face with him. Remember that he is a DOG, a pack animal. Any time he growls at either of you, a HARD smack on the head is in order. This stage should pass by the time he is about 3.

Replied - 09/29/2007
Our nearly two year old female GSD experienced a similar personality change weaning off steroids. I agree with a previous post that the reason does not excuse the behavior. With firm and consistent limits her aggession has decreased.

Replied - 12/09/2007
What ? the reason doesn't justify the behavior? Are you mad? This is DOGS we're talking about NOT WITH. You can not negotiate with your dog or explain to the dog why she is behaving that way.

IF it is steroids, why was she on them?
My question would be: Was this dog spayed recently?

here a link for your review:
http://kerschberger.com/Health.htm about early spaying/neutering.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy